My Favorite Sport: Boxing  

Posted in

If you read my wishlist, then maybe you get the impression that I like violence a little. Still, I didn't always like the idea of boxing. I thought you'd have to be an idiot to choose boxing as a career path, but then I learned a little more about who the people are who tend to take up boxing. Turns out most aren't stupid so much as they are poor.

Now, I can identify with that because I grew up poor, in a rough neighborhood. Of course, I didn't know that it was rough or even that I was poor for a very long time. I thought everyone lived like we did. Then I grew up and thank goodness, I got out. The thing about being poor though, is it never leaves you. It's still very much who I am and I'm very proud of where I've come from.

Thus, I am very proud of the boxers who put themselves through what they do in order to try to make a better life for themselves and their families. Because maybe they aren't exposed to schools with tennis lessons or can't afford the uniforms for group sports. Maybe their life hasn't had that inspirational coach that we see in so many movies. The coach who takes them under his wing and rallies the town to dig deep and help support them. Don't even get me started, I've already said my peace on that here.

Besides where they've come from, I've learned that there is a big difference between a fighter and a boxer. There is actually a mental aspect to boxing, and a good boxer, boxes smart. If you haven't given boxing a chance, watch a few matches and you will see what I mean.

Out of all the matches I've watched new and "classic", Evander "The Real Deal" Holyfield is my favorite boxer. I like his power and footwork more than anyone I've seen. Yes, I've seen some old Muhammad Ali bouts on tv and I know everyone loves him, but I wasn't as impressed as I'd expected to be. Sorry.

DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves
This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at Tuesday, February 03, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Blood sports?
Wow - a lot of people are really still in the medieval era. Ever consider studying ethics? Or the nature of brain damage?

No - really - you are serious? Sorry - no offence - just forget I said anything, man-who-likes-to-watch-violence. Nobody here but us humans.

February 15, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Actually, I have a degree in psychology. Thus, I have studied ethics.

Unlike in the past, these people go into these matches willingly.

I do get that boxing isn't for everyone. I know I felt the same way as you once. Then, I gave it a chance and I realized I was wrong.

As I mentioned, fighting is different than boxing. There is skill, both mentally and physically, involved in boxing. I don't know that you can judge if you haven't given it a chance yourself.

February 15, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones