Best & Worst Musicals  

Posted in

Now I have been to New York and all that jazz, but I live in Missouri; so when I say "musical" I mean musicals that have been made into movies that I have seen. I wouldn't say that I am a huge fan of musicals either. Some are better than others. Mostly, I like anything verging on insanity, but with a twist of sarcasm.

Cabaret is my all time favorite musical. I love Bob Fosse, loved the music, the dancing, the story. Liza Minnelli as Fräulein Sally Bowles and Joel Grey as the MC, both of which were amazing. I also love the soundtrack with Alan Cumming as the MC. I love his voice. I know, that's a lot of love, but it is one of my favorite movies, let alone musical.

I did get the pleasure of seeing this musical live and I was surprised to see some older people walk out. I admit that it's risqué, but that's part of what is so great about it. It tells this very serious story of what is going on in Germany in the 30's only it layers it with the stories of these people's lives. It's complicated, cheeky and sad all at the same time. More than anything, it's entertaining. Yes, I'm going to say it again, I LOVE IT!


Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge. I wasn't sure about Nicole Kidman in this part but you can't go wrong with Ewan McGregor. He is a true renaissance man. Sing, dance, act, he can do it all. Nicole, however, did surprise me. I ended up loving this movie. I think a lot of people who don't typically like musicals, loved this one. I bought this soundtrack as well and I still listen to it all the time.


I know that everyone just loves Hairspray, especially after the movie came out, but this is a prime example of what I don't love about musicals and movies in general. While the storyline is a good one, the ending is just too nice for me. Racism and prejudice aren't cured at the end of the day with a dance and a song people. Sorry to have to rain on the parade but the issues are just too serious for the movie/musical to have ended the way that it did.





Last and least, we have The Producers. The cast was great with Matthew Broderick, Nathan Lane, and Uma Thurman. The movie, however, sucked to the point that I wanted to leave. I just couldn't take all the singing. Yes, it's a musical so there will be singing, but usually there's some regular dialogue mixed in between songs. Not with this musical. Everything felt like a song. One long torturous song.

Sometimes you see movies you don't like and you want to give it another chance just in case you were wrong, but never again Producers. Never again!

DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves
This entry was posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 at Monday, April 28, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Where would you rank Once or Hedwig and the Angry Inch?

And have you ever caught Cannibal: The Musical? It was Trey Parker's student film, a 1950's style musical about a mining expedition that went horribly wrong.

May 1, 2008 at 12:15 PM

I haven't seen Cannibal but it sounds like it's down my alley. I'm afraid I haven't seen Once either. I have, however, seen Hedwig and I did like it. My sister, who I told to watch it, didn't care for it as much. We have very different taste sometimes.

May 1, 2008 at 4:21 PM
Anonymous  

What about Dreamgirls - that's my fave musical now.

May 10, 2008 at 6:31 PM

I did like Dreamgirls. Obviously, Jennifer Hudson did a great job, but I tend to like movies that are just a little twisted. That's just me. Thanks for commenting.

May 11, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones